Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Dresden is worth a journey :-)

Hi folks,

I´m back from a short weekend trip to Dresden, one of the most beautiful cities in east Germany.
Since it is only two and a half hours by coach from Berlin I wonder why it took me so long to get there.



Anyway, I took the coach after work on friday afternoon to arrive in the early evening hours, where my host for the weekend awaited me with Iranian food and a nice conversation over a glass of red wine, before we both retired to our (separate!) bedrooms for an early night. It was my very first experience as a couchsurfer and I must say, I will do this again! It opened up my personal horizon on my hosts culture as well as gifted me with a tour guide for the city :-)

In the morning on Saturday we had a light breakfast and then made our way to the old town of Dresden.

To my surprise there was the Dutch fabric market on the market place! But since I was there to explore the city, I only had a short look and then went on to see the Kreuzkirche, the Frauenkiche, which was bombed in WWII and only rebuild in 2003, the Semper Opera House and of course the Zwinger.


market stalls of the Dutch fabric market...
Frauenkirche
All of these architectural masterpieces had an air of 17th century and Grandesse about them, and I could almost imagine the coaches carried by horses to take some Herzog and his Lady to enjoy an evening of classical music at the Opera... 


Semper Opera House
Zwinger
View towards the Opera House
Zwinger
The weather was nice too, a mix of sun and clouds, not too hot, and it was nice to walk along the river Elbe and enjoy a cool breeze. 


River Elbe with a view to the Dome and the Opera
When I travel, there´s always little details that catch my eye, more than the big sights I like to take snaps of those details. Here´s for example a girl-traffic light, where normally there is always a male figure on display :-) 

Or the drainage in the shape of a dragon clung to the Academy of the Arts. 

Unfortunately it began to rain, no, it poured after three o´clock, so we skipped further parts of town and retreated home to have a hot cup of tea and some traditional music made by some of my hosts friends. 

I really enjoyed this trip, though I didn´t see all of Dresden and certainly not the surrounding regions, but still I´m glad I did it. Now I know my country is at least as beautiful and worth seeing as any other country on this blue marble and I will return to see what else there is nearby (e.g. the Sächsiche Schweiz) or Königsstein. 

Hope you liked my little report and next time there will be sewing topics again (and the promised pictures of my Netties) :-)

Thanks for reading and till next time
XX Milan

No comments:

Post a Comment